Black Mountain Centre and the Black Mountain Quarries
Start your day with a drink or a full breakfast at the Black Mountain Centre in Brynaman then follow the mountain road to the old Black Mountain quarry complex.
Enjoy extensive panoramic views west to Pembrokeshire, south to the Bristol Channel and north to Plynlimon on clear days. Limestone, silica rock and silica sand were quarried here until the 1950’s. Encounter Bronze Age cairns along the Beacons Way to the east and west of the quarries or enjoy the more intimate – and sheltered – wooded valleys on the Black Mountain’s southern fringe.
If you’ve got an hour or less:
- Driving up the mountain road, enjoy the views and explore the Black Mountain quarry complex.
- Eating and drinking at the Black Mountain Centre, Brynaman.
If you’ve got half a day (2-4 hours):
- Follow the ‘Rocky Ravines’ trail from the centre.
- Explore the more sheltered Henllys Vale from Ystradowen using the geotrail or audio trail.
- Follow the trail ‘From Cwm to Cwm‘ starting at Garnant in the Amman Valley.
If you’ve got a full day (5-8 hours):
- Explore a section of the Beacons Way from the Black Mountain quarries.
- Follow in the footsteps of Twrch Trwyth, wild boar of legend, visiting sites mentioned in The Mabinogion. Pick up a copy of the Amman Valley walks and trail pack.