One of the largest cave entrances in Wales where the Afon Mellte is swallowed whole.
OS grid ref SN 928124 (car park & info centre)
The cave can be viewed by a short walk from the car park. A five minute walk beside the former river bed leads to the lower entrance at ‘Blue Pool’.
- Carboniferous: limestone
- OS Landranger 160, Explorer map OL12
- Geological — BGS 1:50,000 sheet: 231 ‘Merthyr Tydfil’
- Various publications
- Cwm Porth Information Centre
- Pay & display car parking
- Entry: free
- Steep rocky steps down to entrance, can be slippery
- By car — by minor roads from Ystradfellte
- By train — nearest stations at Neath and Merthyr Tydfil