Your personal guide to exploring Fforest Fawr UNESCO Global Geopark – you can download a variety of Geopark podcasts and audio trails from here.
What are audio trails?
Audio trails are recorded guides that you can download onto your MP3 player, iPod, mobile phone or PDA to accompany you on your walk. Alternatively, you can download them on to your computer and listen to them at home before you leave.
Waterfall Country Audio Trails and Podcast
- Fossils and Firebricks audio trail reveals the geological and industrial heritage found between Pontneddfechan and the waterfall known as Sgwd Gwladus which contains interviews with a number of experts who have worked in and studied this area for years.
- Goblin Gwladus audio trail presents the information provided in ‘Fossils and Firebricks’ in a way that appeals to 7-11 year olds – and those that like a good old story.
- Powder trail – This audio trail reveals what life was like working at the Gunpowder Works at Pontneddfechan. *FCW/NRW
- Craig y Ddinas – King Arthur’s cave of refuge (MP3). Hear the story of the shepherd boy who went to London and met a wizard. The cave is supposed to be somewhere along the Sychryd Trail between the car park and the cascades. *FCW/NRW
- Sgwd yr Eira MP3 Trail – rocks, hillforts, mining and waterfalls. From Craig y Ddinas car park follow the yellow waymarkers and special MP3 numbered posts to Sgwd yr Eira. From early farmers to rock miners and climbers, people have been drawn here for one reason: to take advantage of the ground beneath our feet.
- Waterfalls and Wildlife podcast features interviews with Brecon Beacons National Park Authority staff who discuss the rich biodiversity found along the path between Sgwd Gwladus and Pont Melin-fach. Duration: 15 minutes.
- With thanks to the former Countryside Council for Wales (now Natural Resources Wales) and the Welsh Government’s Aggregates Levy Sustainability Fund for providing funding and making these possible to produce.
Those marked *FCW/NRW were produced by the former Forestry Commission Wales, now Natural Resources Wales.
Bryn Henllys Audio Trail
- Henllys Vale trail / Llwybr Llafar – This audio trail reveals the industrial heritage and geology found in the Henllys Vale area near Cwmllynfell in the south of the Geopark. It includes interviews with local historians and a geologist.
Childhood Memories of Penwyllt
- A new series of three 15 minute podcasts delving into the childhood memories of former Penwyllt residents, Phil, Hubert and Alan exploring home, community and industrial life during the 1930’s and 1940’s.
Falls, Fossils, Forests and Fleeces
- Henrhyd Falls, near Abercraf, crowns the head of this fascinating valley which is owned and managed by the National Trust. Explore the Waterfalls Trail from here to the confluence of the Nant Llech and River Tawe at Abercraf, through audio, images and film.
Walking with Romans at Y Pigwn
*national winner in 2015 of the Association for Heritage Interpretation’s ‘Discover Heritage Awards‘
- Rory your guide will lead you on an award-winning* tour of Y Pigwn and Waun Ddu along with Primus, a feisty Roman soldier. Immerse yourself in Rory’s world and find out what it was like to be a Roman soldier.