Mynydd Illtud, Glyn Tarell and the National Park Visitor Centre
Covid-19: The Geopark is CLOSED – no public access to Pen y Fan, Waterfall Country etc.
Stay local – save lives!
Pick up a Geotrail leaflet from the National Park Visitor Centre (‘the Mountain Centre’) and enjoy a walk on the common at Mynydd Illtud. Return to the Visitor Centre for lunch or a coffee.
Glyn Tarell with a view of the iconic skyline of Pen y Fan and Corn Du to the east and the national nature reserve of Craig Cerrig-gleisiad and Fan Frynych to the west is only a short drive away.
If you’ve got an hour or less:
- Enjoy the National Park Visitor Centre tearooms and shop and the children’s outdoor play area.
- Take a walk on the common with ‘What to see from the NPVC’.
- Enjoy a short walk to the national nature reserve at Craig Cerrig-gleisiad.
If you’ve got half a day (2-4 hours):
- Take a longer walk on the common eg Mynydd Illtud Geotrail.
- Visit Brecon – shops, cafes, museums, cathedral etc
If you’ve got a full day (5-8 hours):
- Follow a walk card to enjoy an ascent of Pen y Fan from Storey Arms (not a pub!) or from Pont ar Daf.
- Follow the Glyn Tarell Geotrail from here too, for spectacular views onto the glacial moraines and landslips of Craig Cerrig-gleisiad.