Llandovery and Myddfai
Covid-19: The Geopark is CLOSED – no public access to Pen y Fan, Waterfall Country etc.
Stay local – save lives!
Visit the Mid Wales market town of Llandovery in the Towy valley where Welsh princes and drovers are celebrated.
Seek out the traditional Carmarthenshire village of Myddfai where you can enjoy tea and cake at the community hall and visitor centre and learn about the legend of the Lady of the Lake and the Physicians of Myddfai. Then take to the Old Red Sandstone hills to the south or follow in the footsteps of Romans and tilestone-quarrymen across Mynydd Myddfai. Bring a bike or hire one locally to explore this culturally rich corner of the Geopark.
If you’ve got an hour or less:
- Tea and cake at Ty Talcen (Myddfai visitor centre).
- Follow the Llandovery building stones Geotrail.
- Visit the Tourist Information & Heritage Centre (seasonal)
- Red Kite feeding station, Llanddeusant.
If you’ve got half a day (2-4 hours):
- A walk on Mynydd Myddfai
- Visit shops and cafes in Llandovery.
- Explore the Roman camps at Y Pigwn; audio trail and app.
- Cycle the Usk Reservoir loop from Pont a’r Wysg.
If you’ve got a full day (5-8 hours):
- Take a trip by train along the Heart of Wales Line.
- Cycle the quiet lanes past Llanddeusant then walk up to magical Llyn y Fan Fach – moraines and myths aplenty.