The castle perches dramatically above the Afon Cennen where limestone buttresses drop over 100m to the valley floor.
OS grid ref SN 668191
The crag gives its name to the Carreg Cennen Disturbance – an ancient weakness in the Earth’s crust which extends for dozens of miles from Carmarthen Bay to Sennybridge and beyond. Visitors equipped with torches can explore a short limestone cave beneath the castle. A woodland nature reserve lies adjacent to the crag.
- Carboniferous: Limestone
- OS Landranger 160, Explorer maps 186 & OL12
- Geological — BGS 1:50,000 sheet: 230 ‘Ammanford’
- Leaflets available
- Café and picnic facilities
- Car parking at SN 667194
- Entry: charge payable to CADW
- Torch hire
- Steep, rocky; steps
- By car — on minor roads from Trap village (signposted)
- By train — nearest railway station is at Llandeilo 6 miles / 10km away — see Traveline Cymru
- By bus — see Traveline Cymru