Garwnant Forest and Visitor Centre, Taf Fechan Forest
Covid-19: The Geopark is CLOSED – no public access to Pen y Fan, Waterfall Country etc.
Stay local – save lives!
Just off the A470, Garwnant Visitor Centre has information, outdoor play for children and a restaurant. Follow one of the woodland walks, some with a ‘geo’ theme. For walkers the Taff Trail runs up Cwm Taf past the centre and a separate route for cyclists follows the old railway from Cefn-coed-y-cymer up Cwm Taf Fechan then through the forest.
The top end of the Taf Fechan is a good starting point for longer walks in the central Beacons. The less energetic can enjoy a ride on the Brecon Mountain Railway near Pontsticill. The railway and nearby Cyfarthfa Park, Castle, Museum and Art Gallery are also good family-friendly places to visit if the rain starts to fall.
If you’ve got an hour or less:
- The sculpture trail from Garwnant.
- A tour of Penderyn Welsh Whisky Distillery.
- Food and drink at Garwnant restaurant.
If you’ve got half a day (2-4 hours):
- Walk or cycle one of the longer forest trails.
- Take a ride on the Brecon Mountain Railway.
- Visit Cyfarthfa Park, Castle, Museum & Art Gallery.
If you’ve got a full day (5-8 hours):
- Walk or cycle a longer section of the Taff Trail.