Beautiful walk beside the Nedd Fechan from behind the Angel Inn at Pontneddfechan with the spectacular Sgwd Gwladus at its end.
OS grid ref SN 900076 (parking) to SN 896093
The walk, much of it on the line of a former tramway serving the now abandoned silica mines along the route, takes about 40 minutes one way.
- Carboniferous: Farewell Rock, Twelve Foot Sandstone, Cumbriense Sandstone, Bishopston Mudstones
- OS Landranger 160, Explorer map OL12
- Geological — BGS 1:50,000 sheet: 231 ‘Merthyr Tydfil’
- ‘Goblin Gwladus’ and ‘Fossils & Firebricks’ audio trails available for download
- Public toilets
- Car parking at SN 900076
- Entry: free
- Largely flat to picnic area.
- Take care beside deep/fast-flowing and cold river, especially on potentially slippery rock surfaces.
- By car — at the end of the B4242 from Glynneath
- By train — nearest stations at Neath and Merthyr Tydfil — see Traveline Cymru
- By bus — see Traveline Cymru