Pontneddfechan, Ystradfellte, Coelbren and Penderyn
Intending visitors should be aware that this area becomes very busy at times – for your enjoyment and the sake of the local community, please consider visiting outside peak times, or else exploring other less busy parts of the National Park.
Here you will find more spectacular waterfalls to the mile than on any other group of rivers in the UK – what better place to visit in sunshine – or in rain? Enjoy the 45 minute walk beside the Nedd Fechan and Pyrddin rivers to Sgwd Gwladus then return to the village for a pub lunch. The car park beneath Dinas Rock is only a five minute drive to the end of the road away. Here former tramways provide excellent walking routes between the abandoned limestone and silica rock workings. Enjoy the walk to Sgwd yr Eira and walk behind the falls if you’ve half a day to spare – either from Dinas Rock or from Gwaun Hepste. Pick up a copy of the Waterfall Country pack.
If you’ve got an hour or less:
- Short walk beside the Sychryd to the folded limestone crag of Bwa Maen.
- Visit Maen Llia, Bronze Age standing stone.
- Tour of Penderyn Distillery.
- Food and drink in Pontneddfechan, Ystradfellte or Penderyn.
- At Cwm Porth, pick your way down to Porth yr Ogof, Wales’ largest cave entrance where the Mellte river disappears underground for 1/4 mile.
If you’ve got half a day (2-4 hours):
- Follow the audio trails, walking up the Nedd Fechan and Pyrddin to view Sgwd Gwladus and other falls.
- Walk from Penderyn over Moel Penderyn to Dinas Rock and back.
- Walk from Penderyn to Sgwd yr Eira and back.
If you’ve got a full day (5-8 hours):
- Combine various walks to visit all of the falls on a round tour from Gwaun Hepste.
- Walk a circuit from Penderyn to Dinas Rock and Bwa Maen then visit Sgwd yr Eira before a return to the village.