OS grid ref SO 056283 (Brecon canal basin)
The westernmost 3km of the canal run within the Geopark. Old limekilns at The Watton. A Geotrail explores the floodplain of the River Usk and includes a section of the canal.
- Old Red Sandstone (Devonian); St Maughan’s Formation
- Quaternary; river gorge, floodplain, river terraces & alluvium
- OS Landranger 160, Explorer OL12
- Geological — BGS 1:50,000 ‘Brecon’
- Brecon: River Usk Geotrail — includes canal section
- Shops, pubs, restaurants, Brecknock Museum, Theatr Brycheiniog etc in Brecon
- Numerous car parks, mostly pay & display.
- Flat; barrier free
- By car — good access from A470 and A40
- By train — nearest stations at Llandovery, Merthyr Tydfil and Abergavenny — see Traveline Cymru
- By bus — see Traveline Cymru; X43, 63, 714 services run to/from Brecon
- By bike — NCN 8 runs along the towpath