Circular walks can be devised visiting various combinations of the waterfalls along the Mellte, Hepste, Pyrddin and Nedd Fechan rivers.
OS grid ref SN 935123 (Gwaun Hepste car park) or SN 928124 (Cwm Porth car park)
A circular walk taking in the waterfalls of Sgwd Clun-Gwyn, Sgwd Isaf Clun-Gwyn and Sgwd yr Pannwr on the Afon Mellte. The path behind Sgwd yr Eira is memorable!
- Carboniferous: Farewell Rock, Twelve Foot Sandstone, Cumbriense Sandstone, Bishopston Mudstones
- OS Landranger 160, Explorer map OL12
- Geological — BGS 1:50,000 sheet: 231 ‘Merthyr Tydfil’
- ‘Waterside Places’ published by National Park Authority, sold for £1 in Information Centres
- Toilets & Information Centre at Cwm Porth
- Pay & display car parking at Cwm Porth and Gwaun Hepste
- Entry: free
- Rocky sections; steep unfenced drops; muddy in places;
- Take care beside deep/fast-flowing and cold rivers especially on potentially slippery rock surfaces
- By car — by narrow minor roads from A4059 or from Ystradfellte
- By train — nearest stations at Neath and Merthyr Tydfil — see Traveline Cymru
- By bus — see Traveline Cymru