A railway which formerly ran from Hirwaun to the limestone quarries at Penderyn has now been converted into a cycleway.
OS grid ref SN 951085 (Penderyn) to SN 959061 (Hirwaun)
The route makes for a pleasant walk or cycle. The Penderyn Welsh Whisky distillery visitor centre is situated at the northern end of the line.
- Carboniferous: Twrch Sandstone (Basal Grit), Lower Coal Measures
- OS Landranger 160, Explorer map OL12
- Geological — BGS 1:50,000 sheet: 231 ‘Merthyr Tydfil’
- A free booklet is published by Rhondda Cynon Taf Council; ‘Penderyn & Hirwaun Walking Trail’ describing this trail and a walk to Sgwd yr Eira and Dinas Rock.
- Interpretive signs
- Benches & picnic tables
- Entry: free
- By car — off the A4059 at Penderyn
- By train — nearest stations at Neath and Merthyr Tydfil — see Traveline Cymru
- By bus — see Traveline Cymru