All areas of countryside within the Geopark are now open again. Please follow guidelines to stay safe. Be aware that you may not be able to enjoy the usual range of facilities in town, villages and at centres. Further advice on enjoying the Geopark safely.
A railway which formerly ran from Hirwaun to the limestone quarries at Penderyn has now been converted into a cycleway.
OS grid ref SN 951085 (Penderyn) to SN 959061 (Hirwaun)
The route makes for a pleasant walk or cycle. The Penderyn Welsh Whisky distillery visitor centre is situated at the northern end of the line.
- Carboniferous: Twrch Sandstone (Basal Grit), Lower Coal Measures
- OS Landranger 160, Explorer map OL12
- Geological — BGS 1:50,000 sheet: 231 ‘Merthyr Tydfil’
- A free booklet is published by Rhondda Cynon Taf Council; ‘Penderyn & Hirwaun Walking Trail’ describing this trail and a walk to Sgwd yr Eira and Dinas Rock.
- Interpretive signs
- Benches & picnic tables
- Entry: free
- By car — off the A4059 at Penderyn
- By train — nearest stations at Neath and Merthyr Tydfil — see Traveline Cymru
- By bus — see Traveline Cymru