Two walks start near this spectacular quarried limestone cliff formed on the Neath Disturbance at the head of the Vale of Neath.
OS grid ref SN 912079 (car park) to SN 920086
The shorter walk runs beside the Sychryd to a view of the Bwa Maen – a tight geological fold which earns its Welsh name which means the ‘bow or arch rock’. The longer walk explores the former gunpowder works strung out along the north bank of the Afon Mellte.
IMPORTANT! The path through the upper reaches of the Gunpowder works (east/upstream of second footbridge, at the ‘Loonies Leap’ weir) is closed at present until works to stabilise some of the structures has been carried out. Expected re-opening late 2017.
- Carboniferous Limestone, Twrch Sandstone (‘Basal Grit’)
- OS Landranger 160, Explorer map OL12
- Geological — BGS 1:50,000 sheet: 231 ‘Merthyr Tydfil’
- ‘The Old Gunpowder Factory at Glynneath’
- ‘Explosive Times’ – a ‘manga’-style graphic novel booklet
- Audio trail — follow this link to download the ‘Powder Trail’.
- Cafe in community hall at weekends
- Interpretive ‘wind-up’ audio trail to Gunpowder Works
- Car parking at SN 912079
- Entry: free
- Flat; barrier free
- By car — beyond the end of the B4242
- By train — nearest stations at Neath and Merthyr Tydfil — see Traveline Cymru
- By bus — see Traveline Cymru