Less well known than some areas but no less interesting.
A sprawling massif with a more mysterious and secretive air than the hills of the east. Definitely an area for the connoisseur. Two new free walks leaflets have been published (March 2011) — look out for ‘Rock Ravines’ and ‘From Cwm to Cwm’ which describe walks from Brynaman and Garnant on its southern flanks.
- Brynaman & the Black Mountain Centre — start or end your trip to the Black Mountain in Brynaman.
- Henllys Vale — still not well known outside the area. Once a centre of industry and now a place for quiet enjoyment and reflection.
- Herbert’s Quarry — walk across an ancient sea-floor whilst enjoying panoramic views.
- Llyn y Fan Fach — some effort required to reach it but worth the climb.
- Llyn y Fan Fawr — set in a dramatic spot beneath the Black Mountain.