Take a look at our guide to exploring the Geopark. Lots of suggestions for enjoying an hour, a morning or a full day out and about in the area.
On the other hand you might prefer to join a guided walk – during the annual Fforest Fawr Geopark Festival for example (at the end of May/start of June each year) – or attend another event celebrating the natural heritage of Fforest Fawr UNESCO Global Geopark. Start by taking a look at our What’s on pages.
- Have a look too at places to go for a few suggestions for spending a couple of hours or maybe a day or more.
- Of course, you may prefer to explore the area by cycling or horse-riding.
- You will find information and friendly advice on getting the most out of your visit to the Geopark at any of the visitor and information centres around the Brecon Beacons National Park:
- These centres will each help you get the most from your visit. The map below shows these and other centres where you can get information in the area. Some are seasonal or operate restricted opening hours so check here first.
- Please note that both Brecon Tourist Information Centre and the former Waterfalls Centre (the ‘Geopark centre’) in Pontneddfechan have now closed.
Click anywhere on the map to enlarge it.
- There are many places within and around the Geopark catering for visitors’ needs. Check them out – you’re sure to find some that will provide just what you’re looking for – be it accommodation, food and drink, relaxation or adventure! Besides its hotels, the area is well served by self-catering accommodation, bunkhouses and a scatter of youth hostels which groups may find handy. Visit the new Brecon Beacons visitor website to discover more!
- Visitors with a mobility impairment can find additional guidance on attractions with easier access.
- Why not use public transport to visit these places? Take a look at Traveline Cymru for bus and train timetables, stops and route-planning. There is FREE TRAVEL FOR ALL on the T4 (Swansea-Neath-Ystradgynlais-Brecon) and T6 (Cardiff-Merthyr Tydfil-Brecon-Newtown) bus services at weekends until 2019 – useful for Craig-y-nos, Garwnant and Storey Arms.
More to come!
There is now a growing body of Fforest Fawr Geopark Ambassadors – tourism businesses with a passion for the Geopark, its landscape and culture and trained in helping the visitor get the most out of it.