Trail visiting various pieces of industrial archaeology.
OS grid ref SN 755125
The valley of the Afon Twrch was home to industry in times past. Follow the old tramway to see an impressive chimney which is virtually all that remains of Henllys Colliery. Nearby are substantial limekilns. The strikingly straight course of a former tramway can be followed across the moors above these ruins to disused quarries.
- Carboniferous; Coal Measures and Twrch Sandstone
- OS Landranger 160, Explorer map OL12
- Geological — BGS 1:50,000 sheet: 231 ‘Merthyr Tydfil’
- Geotrail leaflet
- Audio trail available for download.
- Free car parking at Brynhenllys Bridge (SN 756126)
- Entry: free
- Accessibility: paths recently improved
- Interpretive panel installed at limekilns
- Caution: mountain environment beyond chimney & limekilns
- By car — off A4068 Brynaman road
- By train — nearest stations at Neath and Ammanford — see Traveline Cymru
- By bus — see Traveline Cymru