This heritage railway runs on the line of the former Brecon & Merthyr Junction Railway beside Pontsticill and Pentwyn Reservoirs.
OS grid ref SO 059097 (car park & station) to SO 049167
Views from the train over the reservoirs and abandoned limestone quarries.
- Carboniferous: Lower Limestone Shale, Abercriban Oolite, Cil-yr-ychen Limestone
- Old Red Sandstone (Devonian): Brownstones , Plateau Beds & Grey Grits Formations
- OS Landranger 160, Explorer map OL12
- Geological — BGS 1:50,000 sheet: 231 ‘Merthyr Tydfil’
- Various publications available
- Car parking at SO 059097
- Entry: charge payable
- Trains are accessible
- By car — on minor roads from Merthyr Tydfil
- By train — nearest mainline station is at Merthyr Tydfil 3 miles / 5km to south — see Traveline Cymru
- By bus — see Traveline Cymru
- By bike — NCN 8 runs close by