Cathedral, canal, hill-fort, Honddu and Usk
Begin your visit from the Mount Street car park (the main car park in Brecon) – three Geotrails lead from here – walk along the Usk and up the Honddu rivers for waterside views or head for Pen y crug for a panoramic view from the Usk valley to the Brecon Beacons.
Stay in town for shopping and visits to the cathedral, museum, cafés and shops. There are also canoeing and boating opportunities on the canal and river.
If you’ve got an hour or less:
- Explore Brecon Cathedral and heritage centre.
- Visit the Regimental Museum
- Rowing on the River Usk at Brecon Prom.
If you’ve got half a day (2-4 hours):
- Follow the Pen y crug or Brecon River Usk and Brecon Town Geotrails.
- Down on the canal, take a boat trip.
- Shopping, eating and sightseeing in Brecon.
- Walk or cycle the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal towpath from the theatre basin to Brynich Lock or even Talybont.
If you’ve got a full day (5-8 hours):
- Follow the Pen y Fan and Cribyn walk card up onto the central Beacons from the National Trust’s Cwm Gwdi car park.