The largest town within Fforest Fawr Geopark sits within its largest valley.
If you are based in the Brecon area then there are plenty of places on the doorstep. The landscapes of the Usk Valley are some of the gentler and most wooded of the area.
- Brecon — a bustling town with Norman roots. Two rivers, a castle, a cathedral and a museum and much more.
- Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal — plenty to see from the canal basin in Brecon, eastwards down the Usk to Brynich Locks and beyond.
- Mynydd Illtud and Traeth Mawr — very accessible from the National Park Visitor Centre. Easy walking with great panoramas.
- Mynydd Myddfai and Usk Reservoir — the top end of the Usk offers a chance to get away from the crowds.
- Pen-y-crug — one of the most impressive hill-forts in Wales — and on Brecon’s doorstep at that.