Learning in Fforest Fawr Geopark
The Geopark is a spectacular outdoor classroom. It has something to offer students of any age — pre-school, school, college or beyond. We intend to develop these pages as time goes by to help you get the most from Fforest Fawr, whatever your level of interest and expertise.
The National Park Authority’s education service works closely with schools. Take a look at the resources for educators which are on offer.
You may find the links below useful:
- Association for Science Education (ASE)
- Cardiff University (School of Earth, Ocean and Planetary Sciences)
- Earth Science Education Forum (ESEF)
- Swansea University
Current research projects
The following research projects are taking place at present with Fforest Fawr Geopark.
- Remote sensing of peatland dynamics between 1945 and 2010 on the upland bog at Waun Fignen Felen
- Coring project at Craig-y-fro
In the first instance you should contact Alan Bowring, Geopark Development Officer, for more information on any of these projects.
Take a look here for abstracts of papers delivered at the most recent Fforest Fawr Geopark Research Seminar which took place at FCW’s Garwnant Visitor Centre in 2011.
Brecon hosted a major conference on the Old Red Sandstone of the Anglo-Welsh basin in the Autumn of 2014.